As professionals we all have the opportunity to lose track of ourselves. We give so much to our families, companies, spouses and communities it is easy to forget about taking time to take care of ourselves. This blog series will include 7 ways we can help keep our own development a priority in addition to all the other people and things we take care of each day.
Think about the advice you would give a good friend who has mentioned feeling stagnant or complacent professionally. Would you tell them to find ways to challenge themselves or to learn something new? That is the advice you should give yourself!
Here are a few questions to get you thinking about what you want to do to stretch your wings and get out of that funk… Today’s focus is to
1. Does your company offer seminars or online learning platforms?
2. Where are you weak or in need of improvement?
Search that topic online, I bet TED has it!
3. Research workshops or seminars in your industry or the industry you are interested in, maybe getting out of town on the company dime is just what you need!
4. Check out sites such as Coursera, Udemy and Skillshare. These sites allow you to improve existing skills and learn new ones.
5. Talk to your boss, he or she may have some projects that can mix up your day and get you a little exposure to the company.
You are the only person who is wholly invested in your success, you are the only person who can make the changes necessary to improve your situation and you are the only person who can keep you from doing these things. It is easy to point the finger at others, your boss, spouse or kids and say they are the reason you don’t have time or energy to spend doing things for you. This is an excuse, yes those statements may be true but you are making a decision to make them a higher priority than yourself and that can lead to disaster. Sit down share your thoughts or wants with those around you and I bet collectively you can come up with solutions to help you find the time you need to invest in YOU!
YOU are a priority EVERYDAY!!
Please share your thoughts on this and our other blog topics by commenting or sharing with your friends, we would love your feedback and or suggestions for future topics!